My roommate recently stumbled upon a disturbing website, which I found necessary to share with the likes of all of you.
The website, contains a chart, which details calories per serving size found in many different alcohols. It also calculates the calorie/alcohol ratio, which is actually pretty beneficial. But still terrifying.
I always knew alcohol had a lot of calories, but 1,464 calories in a 12-ounce serving of Bacardi 151 is ridiculous. Granted, you’re probably not going to drink that much (one shot is made up of roughly one ounce) but that’s still a lot to think about. With that in mind, that’s about 122 calories a shot. And I know none of you are taking just one shot when you’re pre-gaming on Fridays.
So, how can this chart help you? Well, if you’re worried about what you’re consuming, you can just look at the chart before heading toy your preferred liquor store. Or, you might just not really care.
The consensus is that beer has way less calories than hard liquor, but you have to drink more of them to have that Party Rock feeling.
Here are some of the best (and worst) drinks that you can put into your body.
- There are a few beers that tie at 64 calories ad 22.9 calories to alcohol ratio (not the best, but this makes sense as you’re not consuming hard liquor). These two are Miller Genuine Draft 64 and Budweiser Select. I don’t drink beer, so I can’t comment on how they taste, but if you’re just drinking to get drunk, I feel like it doesn’t really matter what you drink. But that’s just my opinion.
- Two more beers come in second, Michelob Ultra and Natural Light. They each have 95 calories, with 22.6 for calories to alcohol ratio. The lower the number, the more alcohol per calorie, so either of these could be a better choice compared to the first two.
- Natural Ice, another beer I have never heard of, takes third place. This beer has 130 calories, with 22 calories to alcohol ratio.
- A rum and Diet Coke only has 172 calories for 12 ounces and it has a relatively high calorie to alcohol ratio at 19.7. If you’re craving some hard liquor, this is for sure your best bet.
- Carlo Rossi White Zinfandel has the least amount of calories of all wine with 204 per 12-ounce glass. But, it has 25.5 calorie to alcohol ratio — not the greatest. That being said, I would stick to drinking wine with a meal, not drinking it to go out.
- Everclear is by far the worst on the list, racking up 1,800 calories for a 12-ounce glass. But, it is one of the best in terms of a calorie to alcohol ratio, with a number of 18.9. And let’s be honest, if you drank 12 ounces of Everclear, you would be on the ground, so that’s probably not going to happen, anyway.
- After Bacardi 151, Bailey’s Irish Cream comes up next with 1,152 calories and a terrible calorie to alcohol ratio of 67.8. This isn’t surprising, I mean, have you drank Bailey’s before? It is saddening as Bailey’s is quite delicious. But you can’t drink too much of it anyway, it’s so sweet.
- Jagermeister makes the list with 1,236 calories per serving and an awful calorie to alcohol ratio of 35.3. I don’t understand why people drink this in the first place, but these people should probably start drinking it sparingly.
- Besides Becca on Superbad, I haven’t really seen anyone drink Goldshläger, but maybe I’m not hanging out with the right people. Anyway, this liquor contains 1,144 calories with a calorie to alcohol ratio of 26.3. So, maybe we should just let Becca drink it anyway.
- Kahlua is the last of the hard liquors to make it into the thousand calorie range with 1,092 calories. It also has an awful calorie to alcohol ratio of 54.6, which isn’t surprising, but is still upsetting. Save this one for special occasions. Or if you’re desperate.
Hopefully next time this well help you think before purchasing your alcohol. I guess it doesn’t really matter, since you might just end up throwing it up anyway, but it’s still something to think about.
And don’t forget about chasers. They up the cals even more. I prefer to chase with Juicy Juce boxes, which contain about 60 calories. Not too bad. If you have just one. A better alternative is the Crystal Light (or really any brand–They pop up everywhere) that you can pour into your water. They have zero calories and they are delicious. It’s a win-win.
And don’t forget about flavored vodka. With all that sugar it makes it even worse for you.
Screw it. This makes me want some wine.